Pen and ink drawing, with watercolor, unsigned and undated, 37.5 cm high
x 53 cm wide.
Purchased in 1967 from a descendant of Captain Gätjen, Inventory No.
Copyright © Focke-Museum, Bremen, Germany.
Clementine was constructed by Mr. Johann Lange in
Vegesack/Grohn for J. F. W. Iken & Co. She was first launched on
August 20, 1834 and remained in service for about 16 years. She was
120 feet long by 31 feet wide by 19 feet deep.
carried passenger and freight traffic from Bremen
to North and South America for the first 10 years of her service and then
was converted to a whaler in the South Pacific. The ship was captained
Johann H. Gaetjen, Johann Gesselmann, Hinrich Hilken, and Johann
1838, a fire was reported on board the Clementine in the Bremen harbor,
preparing to sail
emigrants to Brazil.
In July 1842, Captain
Gesselmann grounded the Clementine in the English Channel as she was
bound from Bremerhaven to Baltimore with 189 emigrants. The ship
was towed to Dunkirk and repaired. She set sail again for
Baltimore in August 1842.
Clementine was removed from service in 1850 and likely returned to
shipwright Lange for partial payment for the ship Neptune. The
Clementine was likely broken up and destroyed.
1. History of Ship Clementine.
Von der Weser in die Welt; Die Geschichte der Segelschiffe von Weser und
Lesum und ihrer Bauwerften 1770 bis 1893, Schriften des Deutschen
Schiffahrtsmuseums, Bd. 33 (Hamburg: Kabel, c1993), pp. 185-186, no.